The top Bing searches of 2011 offer a walk down memory lane, reflecting the people, news stories, events and more that captured the attention of Americans this year. From celebrity relationships and royal weddings, to controversial trials and devastating losses, online searches reflect the year’s most important people, places and moments in time.
* Justin Bieber had a lot of “firsts” in 2011 - first celebrity girlfriend, first big screen movie, first holiday album and first scandalous rumor. The Biebs just couldn’t be hotter this year as he moved from the number six slot in 2010 to the No. 1 most searched person on Bing in 2011.
* Last year’s winner, Kim Kardashian, takes the crown for the most searched woman of the year on Bing, and second most searched person overall. Rounding out the top five people searched were Jennifer Aniston, Lindsay Lohan and Jennifer Lopez.
* After not even cracking the top 50 in 2010, Jennifer Lopez rocketed into the number five slot for most searched people on Bing this year.
* While Prince William didn’t even make the top 100 most searched people list, America fell in love with the Middleton sisters in 2011, with Kate coming in at No. 12, and Pippa at No. 21.
* She may be small, but Suri Cruise certainly raked in a large number of searches this year, coming in as the most searched celebrity child of 2011. The runner ups, Malia and Sasha Obama, are twice Suri’s size but only garnered one-third as many searches.
Most-searched musician and sports star
* While Bieber was the most searched musician on Bing in 2011, Jennifer Lopez and Britney Spears are showing that old school can sometimes beat new school, bringing in more searches than Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga. Superstar Katy Perry came in as No. 2 overall and ranks as the top searched female musician.
* Girl power! The boys got served by Maria Sharapova in sports-related searches, beating out Tiger Woods and Brett Favre, who ranked second and third most searched, respectively. Women tennis stars dominated this year with Serena Williams and Caroline Wozniacki rounding out the top-five most searched for athletes.
Most-searched television and consumer electronics
* Not only is “American Idol” the most searched TV show, but it ranks as the most searched reality show in 2011 as well. Heading into its 11th season, American Idol had a strong hold on searches in 2011, outpacing second-place finisher, “Dancing with the Stars.”
* The consumer electronics buzz this year was all about playing games - video games, that is! Xbox, PlayStation, and Wii all made the top 10 most searched consumer electronic list, with Xbox topping the list at No. 1.
Interestingly enough, one of the most searched consumer electronics this year doesn’t even exist yet; speculations about the iPhone 5 came in as the fourth most searched consumer electronic of the year.
For more of this year’s online search trends, please visit www.bingtrends.com.