Maspeth house catches fire
by Lisa A. Fraser
Dec 22, 2011 | 3361 views | 1 1 comments | 21 21 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Image 1 / 3
A house fire at the intersection of Clinton Avenue and 68th Street in Maspeth shook up the quiet neighborhood on Thursday, just after 12:30 p.m.

Firefighters from Ladder 138 and Squad 288 were called to the home and quickly managed to control the blaze.

An elderly couple were in the house at the time. They sustained no physical injuries but they were taken to Elmhurst Hospital.

According to firefighters on the scene, their cat inhaled a large amount of smoke and was given oxygen and is now doing better.

The fire also spread to the side of the house next door but no one was injured.

“It all went so fast,” said the couple's next-door neighbor. “They were yelling 'fire' and came running out.”

Firefighters don't know what started the fire but say it began on the second floor of the house. It spread rapidly because of the “minimum construction of the building,” said one firefighter.

Additional reporting and photos by Heather Senison.
Comments
(1)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
Sunnysidesuz
|
December 23, 2011
aww, you really did post the cat picture.