Shamrocks women to State Cup
May 03, 2017 | 9810 views | 0 0 comments | 386 386 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Shamrocks defender Dan Giorgi scored his first ever goal for the club in a 1-1 draw. (Photo: Dennis Schneidler/NY Shamrocks)
Shamrocks defender Dan Giorgi scored his first ever goal for the club in a 1-1 draw. (Photo: Dennis Schneidler/NY Shamrocks)
A second Shamrocks team has reached the June 4th State Cup finals after a convincing 4-0 rout of Beyond sent the women through to their decider and kept alive the possibility of a phenomenal treble.

Georgia Frost was on the mark twice during Sunday’s semifinal at East 6th Street, while there were also goals from Sharon Odofin and captain Teresa Ferraro as Paddy Geraghty’s team extended their unbeaten run to an incredible 25 games.

“We still have a lot of work to do, but we have set ourselves up with two cup finals and a chance to clinch the league next Sunday,” said Geraghty. “We also had great support today from the Women’s B team as well as the Men’s teams.”

Meanwhile, the first team moved to within a point of leaders Lansdowne in spite of a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Manhattan Celtic at St. Michael’s in Woodside on Saturday night.

Battling against relegation, Celtic took an early lead after a defensive mix-up, but ever present left back Dan Giorgi notched his first-ever goal for the club with a second-half cross that crept in high at the back post.

Reigning champions Lansdowne were overturned at home by Cedar Stars, allowing Kevin Grogan’s men to narrow the gap at the top ahead of next Sunday’s tricky trip to take on the Greek Americans.

“We got to give valuable minutes to players,” said Grogan. “It’s important that all squad players have minutes under there belts before the playoffs and State Cup final.”

In the opener, a playoff semifinal was secured by the reserves for whom Seán O’Neill, George Lara and captain Paul McDaid were on the mark

“Two wins in a row sets us up nicely for Wednesday’s State Cup semifinal,” said John Riordan. “I wanted us to get through this game without incident, so I’m glad we achieved that.”

The defending Marth Cup champions were knocked out by Germania in Poughkeepsie, Paddy McCarry’s men relinquishing a 1-0 lead that was gained by Johnny McGeeney and ultimately losing 3-1 against the impressive hosts in an incident packed game.

“Today’s loss is hard to take,” said McCarry. “I strongly feel their first goal should not have stood. The ball clearly was over the sideline and we did not get the call, but that happens in football.

“We then missed a penalty,” he added. “The keeper made a great save, but he conceded the penalty when he brought down Riley and he was the last man so he should have been sent off. The referee only booked him.”

The Shamrocks Legends ended up 4-2 winners against Doxa thanks to strikes by Marcus Nascimento (2), Eoghan McParland and player-gaffer Emmett Harvey.

A first half full of defensive indecision combined with three brilliant saves by Joe Connolly led to the Legends trailing 2-1 at halftime. A stern talk from the coaches and the introduction of Justin Stanford to a flat back four steadied the defense.

Ultimately, the appearance of Coach Harvey with 30 minutes left lifted the team to score three without reply, and he stepped up himself to score the decider against a tiring Doxa.

“At the end of the day three points is three points, but the team can’t afford a similar poor start next week against a good Eintracht side,” said assistant coach Eoin Sweeney.

In Metro 1, Shamrocks 1960 lost 4-2 to Mola, with Robbie Kenneary and Danny Meola scoring the goals.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet