St. Francis Brooklyn falls to Fordham in NCAA College Cup
by Bryan Fonseca
Nov 20, 2017 | 7591 views | 0 0 comments | 150 150 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers (14-5-1) fell to the Fordham Rams (13-5-2) in round one of the NCAA Men’s Soccer Tournament, the College Cup, 3-2 in overtime on November 16.

The Terriers, who had just won their fourth Northeast Conference Championship over a five-year stretch, have never been closer to winning their first NCAA Tournament game in their recent dynastic run over the NEC, which has led them to four appearances in soccer’s big dance.

Senior All-NEC standout Leo Folla belted in the game’s first goal, which came in the ninth minute of play, getting the Terriers a head start over their fellow NYC combatant.

The Terriers, using their trademark stifling defense, kept Fordham away from goal for most of the remainder of the contest before the Rams responded in the form of senior midfielder Jannik Loebe, who put the Bronx-based club on the board in the 72nd minute.

The lead lasted shorter than a bathroom break.

Seconds later, the Terriers stole possession off of a Fordham play-in, which resulted in an unassisted goal from senior forward Nadim Saqui, his fourth over the last four games.

The Rams answered late in regulation with a goal from Matthew Lewis, sending the NCAA Tournament encounter into overtime.

It only took five minutes into the first extra stanza for the Rams to end the Terriers’ season in heartbreaking fashion. Sophomore defender Joergen Oland netted the nail in the coffin off a breakaway opportunity for Fordham, securing the club a 3-2 victory, advancing them into round two of the tournament.

For the Terriers, who produced four All-NEC First Team honorees, two All-NEC second team members, three All-NEC Rookie teamers, the league’s Defensive Player of the Year and Coaching Staff of the year, the dynasty continues, but advancement in the College Cup continues to avoid them.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet