St. John’s women dominate, but still fall to Creighton
Oct 11, 2016 | 9428 views | 0 0 comments | 256 256 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Despite dominating almost every offensive category, the St. John’s women’s soccer team dropped a 2-0 decision to Creighton at Morrison Stadium in Omaha on Sunday afternoon.

St. John’s (6-3-5, 1-2-2 Big East) outshot Creighton, 14-6, held a 7-4 advantage in shots on goal and won six corners to the Bluejays’ two. Creighton, however, took advantage of its limited opportunities, beating keeper Diana Poulin in the 35th and 70th minutes.

Offensively, the Red Storm got three shots apiece from Morgan Tinari and Lucy Whipp. Both players sent two of their three shots on target. Claudia Cagnina, Anna Maria Balursdottir and Maria Gonzalez Bullon were responsible for the remaining two shots on goal for the Red Storm.

The Red Storm returns to action on Saturday when it hosts DePaul in a Big East battle. The first kick is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Similar story for St. John’s men

And like the women, despite holding an advantage in most of the major statistical categories on Saturday afternoon, the St. John’s men’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the conference season, 2-0, against the Xavier Musketeers at Walnut Hills High School.

St. John’s (5-3-3, 1-1-2 Big East) outshot Xavier by a 12-9 margin, including a 6-4 advantage in tries on goal, and earned eight corners to the Musketeers’ two. Xavier, however, found the back of the net twice in the second half, first in the 48th minute and again in the 70th minute to come away with the victory.

Colin Hanley recorded the shutout for Xavier (6-3-2, 3-1-0), stopping all six tries that the Red Storm sent on target. Andrew Withers made two saves for the Red Storm, picking up just his second loss of the season.

Harry Cooksley led the way for the Johnnies with three shots, one of which found its target. Filippo Ricupati, Alistair Johnston and Marco Torriani recorded two shots apiece for St. John’s.

Following a first that saw the Red Storm dominate the possession game, Xavier came out of the locker room with a renewed vigor, breaking the scoreless tie in the 48th minute on a goal from Matt Vasquenza.

Jalen Brown, the Musketeers’ leading scorer on the season, found the back of the net in the 70th minute, giving Xavier the 2-0 lead with which it would end the game.

Down two, St. John’s would not go quietly, as the Red Storm registered four shots and earned two corners over the next 10 minutes. All of the Johnnies’ tries, however, were thwarted by Hanley and the Musketeers.

The Red Storm was scheduled to play its final non-conference match of the season on Tuesday night at Belson Stadium, welcoming the Greyhounds of Loyola Maryland for a 7 p.m. contest.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet