Fireworks show at Astoria Park
Just because the summer’s biggest holiday falls on a Tuesday doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate everything red, white and blue. With the Fourth of July right around the corner, check out these fun activities happening in Brooklyn and Queens.
Independence Day Fireworks Display and Concert
- Wednesday, June 28 - 6 - 9:30 pm - Parade Grounds, Fort Totten Park, Bayside - Kick off your Fourth of July festivities with a fireworks display over the water near Fort Totten Park. This year’s Grucci Fireworks Show will be set to a musical soundtrack synchronized to the pyrotechnics. The Grucci’s Fireworks Barge will be stationed in the Douglaston Bay. You can also listen to live musical performances between 6pm and 9pm. Now in its third year, the show gets thousands of visitors. You can park at the following designated areas: Little Bay Parking Lot (directly outside the Fort), Under the Throgs Neck Bridge, Clearview Golf Course, Along Bell Blvd, Along Utopia Parkway and Bay Terrace Shopping Center (behind Chase Bank). There will be Vallo Transportation yellow buses running between the Clearview Golf Course, Bay Terrace Shopping Center and Fort Totten gates from 6pm to 10:30 pm.
2017 Independence Day - Celebration
- Thursday, June 29 - 7:30 pm - Astoria Park Great Lawn on Shore Blvd, Astoria - One of the largest fireworks display in Queens has to be at the Astoria Park Great Lawn. Make sure you get there early to find parking (public transportation might be your best bet) and a decent spot on the lawn. This year’s fireworks will follow a performance by the Queens Symphony Orchestra.
Declaration of Independence Reading
- Saturday, July 1 - 1pm & 3pm - Onderdonk House, 1820 Flushing Avenue, Ridgewood - Celebrate Independence Day with a reading of the Declaration of Independence. Docent Charles Sanchez will wear a period costume while performing a dramatic reading. Fun for the whole family! There is a suggested donation of three dollars.
July 4th Party and Burger - Eating Contest!
- Tuesday, July 4 - Doors open at 1 pm; contests begin at 4 pm - Dromedary Bar, 266 Irving Avenue, Bushwick - Who needs hot dogs when you’ve got burgers? If you can’t make it to the wildly popular hot dog eating contest in Coney Island, give Dromedary Bar in Bushwick a try. There are burger-eating and beer-shotgunning contests. Contest winners will win prizes ranging from $50 to $300. If you want to compete, you can register at www.eventbrite.com, simply search for “Duncan's Burgers' & Dromedary Bar's July 4th Party & Burger Eating Contest!”
Rock of July
- Tuesday, July 4 - 2 - 10 pm - Sunnyvale,1031 Grand Street, East Williamsburg - Get ready to rock the day and night away with the Rock of July music event. Stop by to listen to artists such as Combo Chimbita, Stuyedeyed, The Mad Doctors, Shining Mirrors, Flower Girl and Holly Overton with Midnight People. There will also be a grillmaster, backyard beers and burgers, a hot dog eating competition, alleyway DJs and fashion tie-dye!
July 4th Party at LIC Flea
- Tuesday, July 4 - 2 - 11:30 pm - LIC Flea & Food, 5-25 46th Ave, LIC - Do you like to shop? Do you like to shop at the LIC Flea? Do you like to shop at the LIC Flea when the grand Macy's Fireworks show is happening? Well, LIC Flea organizers decided to open the festival on July 4th which gives you an opportunity to shop and eat while admiring a beautiful show. The free event gives you one of the best views in the city.