KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — One of the two men traveling on a missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner with a stolen passport was a 19-year-old Iranian man believed to be trying to migrate to Germany, and had no terror links, police said Tuesday.
A decade on, Spain remembers Tuesday as the day Al-Qaeda-inspired bombers ripped asunder four packed commuter trains, killing 191 people, as its security forces now grapple with new and emerging jihadist threats. The Spanish royal family led by King Juan Carlos, as well as Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, will join a mass for victims in Madrid's Almudena Cathedral, a solemn ceremony for a nation still wary of extremist Islamists and "lone wolves" lured to their cause. The shrapnel-filled bombs detonated at 7:40 am on March 11, 2004, in packed commuter trains headed to Madrid's main Atocha railway station, massacring 191 people and wounding about 2,000. Antonio Gomez, a married 48-year-old bank computer designer with daughters now aged 10 and 15, was in a train at Atocha when a bomb detonated.
Malaysian police said Tuesday one of two suspect passengers who boarded a missing passenger jet was an Iranian illegal immigrant, as relatives of some of the 239 people on board said they were losing hope for a miracle. Authorities have doubled the search radius to 100 nautical miles (equivalent to 185 kilometres) around the point where Malaysia Airlines MH370 disappeared from radar over the South China Sea early Saturday, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Fears of terrorism were stoked by the weekend revelation that two men boarded the flight using stolen European passports. One of the pair had been identified as a 19-year-old Iranian, Malaysia's national police chief Khalid Abu Bakar told reporters.