Student hit with a wrench in Maspeth
by Chase Collum
Nov 26, 2013 | 5068 views | 0 0 comments | 153 153 recommendations | email to a friend | print
After a teen rivalry turned ugly at Crowley Park, a 15-year-old male has been arrested for assault.

Captain Christopher Manson of the 104th Precinct said that the November 13th fight started at the corner of 79th Street and Grand Avenue in Maspeth.

“Students from another school came to Maspeth High, they had words,” said Manson in a press briefing on Friday, Nov. 15. “They continued to argue as they moved up the block.”

Principal Khurshid Abdul-Mutakabbir of Maspeth High School told a different story, saying that the fight started, and was broken up, at Crowley Park, and not at or near his high school.

“Everyone who's writing about it is completely off,” said Abdul-Mutakabbir. “I actually sent out an email to Manson and a few other people as well, because I'm disappointed in his update. He told some people the wrong story.”

According to Abdul-Mutakabbir, the fight that led to one of his students being hit in the face with a wrench started as a planned confrontation between two girls, one a Maspeth student, and one a student at Grand Street Campus, located on Bushwick Avenue and Grand Street in Brooklyn, who had a long-standing feud.

“The girl from the other school decided to come here to confront the other girl, not at the school but at Crowley Park,” Abdul-Mutakabbir explained. “The girl from Maspeth mentioned it to a couple of her classmates, and the word started spreading.”

At about 4:45 p.m., according to Abdul-Mutakabbir's account, “Forty or 50 of our kids went over to Crowley Park to be spectators, to see what was happening, and the kids from Grand Street Campus showed up and they immediately started attacking one of the boys.”

He went on to explain that, “it wasn't really much of a brawl, it was more of an assault.”

As for the confusion that the fight took place around Maspeth High School at Elmhurst Park, Abdul-Mutakabbir said, “It did not happen at our school, near our school or at Elmhurst Park. It was much further down, way beyond our perimeter.”

Abdul-Mutakabbir said that the boy who was assaulted was able to return to school the next day, but he did say that the girl who had the fight is transferring out, and that none of his students want revenge.

“They didn't go to fight in the first place,” Abdul-Mutakabbir said.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet