Seniors find a home in Howard Beach
Dec 11, 2013 | 679 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Peter J. Striano cutting the ribbon to officially open the facility with officials from Brooklyn and Queens.
Peter J. Striano cutting the ribbon to officially open the facility with officials from Brooklyn and Queens.
slideshow
Gladys Huertas.
Gladys Huertas.
slideshow
Community leaders gathered last week to celebrate the opening of the Peter J. Striano Residence in Howard Beach, a $31 million, 96-unit affordable housing facility aimed toward seniors and people with developmental disabilities.

The new facility, located at 155-55 Cross Bay Blvd., features on-site social services, disaster case management, and a senior center that will be open to the Howard Beach community.

The project has been underway since the state chose Catholic Charities Progress of People (CCPOP) Development Corporation to develop the facilty in June 2009. Tenants who have been accepted to the new residence through a lottery system have been moving into the facility since August 2013.

“This project truly allows us all to uphold our commitment to providing older adults with the highest quality housing right in their own neighborhoods, while at the same time integrating an on-site senior center and services for persons with developmental disabilities,” said Robert Siebel, CEO of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens.

At least 80 percent of the units are studio or one-bedroom apartments reserved for low-to-moderate income senior citizens over the age of 55. The remaining 20 percent are one-to-two bedroom apartments are reserved for individuals with developmental disabilities.

“Our seniors deserve the opportunity to stay in their own neighborhood and look forward to their golden years knowing that there will be a safe and affordable place they can still call home,” said Councilman Eric Ulrich. “There is no doubt in my mind that this project will have a positive impact on the Howard Beach community for generations to come.”

“I’m so proud and blessed to be here,” said new resident Gladys Huertas, who lives in the facility with her husband. “I’m just part of this family already. We have so many amenities and even more to come.”

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet