Gasoline smell leads to Martin Luther evacuation
Jun 04, 2014 | 2888 views | 0 0 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Martin Luther School in Maspeth was evacuated early Monday morning after there were reports of a gasoline smell, leading school officials to cancel classes for the rest of day.

Shortly after 9 a.m. on June 2, the FDNY received a call from school at 60-02 Maspeth Avenue, according to an FDNY representative.

“There was no one sick at the location, and the call was closed out by 10:29 a.m.,” the representative said.

Evacuated students were reportedly moved to the nearby St. Stanislaus Catholic Church, and from there they were dismissed for the day.

“The fire department examined the building and found the source of the smell was not coming from inside the school,” said Kelli Westfal, director of communications for Martin Luther School. “Maybe somebody dumped gasoline into the sewers. The way the sewer system works it might have backed up into our system.

“We have basically aired out the building all day and anticipate bringing the students back in morning for a regular school day,” she added.

By 2:45 p.m., the smell was “pretty much gone,” according to Westfal.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet