Myrtle Ave businesses say 104th inspecting possible assault
by Andrew Shilling
Jul 25, 2014 | 1651 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Business owners along Myrtle Avenue jumped on their social media last week after, they say, 104th Precinct detectives asked for their security camera data for an apparent assault at approximately 1 a.m. on the morning of July 15 near Myrtle Avenue and 84th Street.

Michelle Cook Lopez, manager of Cooks Arts and Crafts at 80-09 Myrtle Avenue, said two detectives questioned her and asked about their security camera systems.

“They showed me a picture of the man in a hospital bed with a swollen face and asked if I recognized him,” Lopez said. “These were detectives with badges and said if I had any information to call the 104th.”

However, a spokesperson from the NYPD public affairs unit said there was only one assault that day in the precinct, but it was at a private residence on Putnam Avenue; the other side of the community from the alleged assault.

And 104th Precinct Community Affairs Officer Thomas Bell said he was unaware of any crime.

“I have no information about that,” Bell said. “This is new knowledge to me.”

Lopez, who is also a member of the Glendale Property Owners civic group, said she does not see as many officers patrolling her community in comparison to other parts of the precinct, so an assault is not surprising.

“Glendale in general I think is a wonderful neighborhood, but it gets very quiet at night,” Lopez said. “ A lot of desperate people know this is a dead area at night, and we need more police down here.”

The reported attack comes just one year after local elected officials announced $250,000 in funding to place 14 security cameras in and around Forest Park, something Lopez says could have helped the detectives who visited her business.

“I remember recently we were supposed to get a camera across the street because of the rapist that was loose in the park last year,” Lopez said. “I see that there is a power supply and an arm to hold up the camera, but there is still no camera, and that’s been about a year.”

Miller said he spoke with concerned residents about the alleged attack, and assured he is still working with the NYPD to finalize paperwork to install the cameras

“They need to complete their part of the application and send it in,” Miller said.

The assemblyman said he sent the paperwork to the department for approval more than two months ago, and has been in constant contact to pressure them for a signature.

“It’s a lengthy process,” he said. “Once it gets back to us, it could take a few months.”

One of the cameras is slated for 80th Street and Myrtle Avenue, which would have recorded whatever happened the morning of July 15.

“It would have picked up whatever happened on the street,” Miller said. “They’re 10 times better than a camera on the outside of a building or a store.”

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet