St. John’s women handed first loss of the year
Sep 14, 2016 | 13058 views | 0 0 comments | 774 774 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The St. John’s women’s soccer team suffered its first setback of the season on Sunday evening, falling to Portland, 2-1, in the final game of the Nike Portland Invitational.

The Red Storm (4-1-3) had been undefeated through seven games to start the season, setting the second-longest such streak in school history.

Mikhaila Martinov tallied her first career goal for the Johnnies on Sunday evening off a Samie Scaffidi corner kick in the 29th minute. Diana Poulin matched a season-high with five saves against the Pilots (4-1-2), but it wasn’t enough to stop the two-time Big East Goalkeeper from picking up her first loss of the season.

On the campaign, the Hauppauge native still maintains a goals against average of 0.35, good enough for tops in the conference.

Kicking off the marquee weekend of its non-conference schedule, the Red Storm played Pac-12 powerhouse Washington to a scoreless tie on Friday.

Poulin was the player of the match for the Red Storm, registering a season-high five saves and neutralizing a number of additional attempts that did not show on the scoresheet.

The senior now has five shutouts on the season, tying her for the national lead in that category.

It marked the fourth time in just seven matches this season that the Red Storm has seen overtime.

The Red Storm will enjoy a week off before its next contest when the Johnnies welcome La Salle to Queens for a 1 p.m. kick off.

Men roll by H.C.

Led by a pair of goals from sophomore Filippo Ricupati, the St. John’s Red Storm put forth a dominant performance against Holy Cross on Sunday evening, defeating the Crusaders, 2-0, at Belson Stadium.

Ricupati, a forward from Milan, Italy, found the back of the net in the 66th and 89th minutes for the Red Storm, helping the Johnnies move to 3-1-1 on the season.

St. John’s is off to its best start since the NCAA Tournament season of 2013, when the team began the campaign with five wins in six tries.

“I thought we played a great first half, got a lot chances,” said coach Dave Masur. “We were concerned about their ability to pass, but we closed down extraordinarily well.

Andrew Withers recorded his first solo shutout of the season and the team’s third clean sheet overall. Withers became the first Red Storm keeper to log a complete game in 2016, stopping the one Holy Cross shot that found its target.

The Red Storm will next be in action on Saturday, September 17, opening up Big East play on the road at Marquette at 8:05 p.m.. It will be broadcast on the Big East Digital Network.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet