St. John’s starts off conference play with two wins
Sep 27, 2016 | 13279 views | 0 0 comments | 786 786 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Anna Maria Baldursdottir
Anna Maria Baldursdottir
Anna Maria Baldursdottir converted on a penalty kick for the Red Storm after nearly 70 minutes of scoreless play on Saturday, propelling the Red Storm to a 1-0 victory over Seton Hall to open Big East play.

“I was really happy with the way we came out in the first half and possessed the ball,” said coach Ian Stone. “We made some tactical changes in the second half, which allowed us to create more opportunities. Any win on the road in the Big East is a good one.”

Baldursdottir’s tally came in the 69th minute after a foul was called on the Pirates in the box. The sophomore sent her shot just inside the right post, beating Anna MacLean for the go-ahead goal.

The Red Storm (6-1-3, 1-0)earned the penalty try after Samie Scaffidi was taken down in the box during the struggle for a loose ball. Baldursdottir stepped to the spot and found the back of the net for her second goal of the season.

Diana Poulin continued her stellar play in net for the Red Storm, stopping shots towards the end of both the first and second halves to keep the Pirates off the board.

The shutout was Poulin’s seventh of the season, which ranked in the top-five in Division I and is two shy of her career-high set in 2014. The senior’s goals-against average dropped to 0.28 and with the two saves, her save percentage climbed to .900.

St. John’s returns to action on Thursday when it hosts Butler at Belson Stadium at 7 p.m.

Shorthanded men’s squad wins

Despite playing the final 69:19 of the match with just nine field players, St. John’s managed to keep Seton Hall off the score sheet and found the back of the net themselves, downing the Pirates, 1-0, at Belson Stadium on Saturday night.

Filippo Ricupati scored his third goal of the season to lift St. John’s (4-2-2, 1-0-1) to the 1-0 victory, converting on a penalty kick in the 68th minute.

Proving why he ranks near the top of the NCAA in both goals against average and save percentage, Andrew Withers was phenomenal between the pipes once again for the Red Storm, registering his third solo shutout in just four opportunities on the season.

The Red Storm played with just 10 men for the final two-thirds of the contest after Thomas Mickoski was issued a red card at the 20:41 mark of the match.

The Red Storm was scheduled to return to action on Tuesday night, hosting Saint Joseph’s in a non-conference matchup at 7 p.m.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet