Last season, the Lincoln Railsplitters routed the PSAL and took home the city championship at Madison Square Garden, avenging their 2016 loss to Thomas Jefferson High School in the ’17 finals, defeating the Orange Wave, 82-64.
Like their Brooklyn rivals the previous season, the Railsplitters subsequently won the Class AA State Championship. Archbishop Molloy got the furthest out of all schools based in Queens, reaching the Catholic League Finals before losing to Cardinal Hayes High School. In the A Division, Brooklyn Law & Tech notably reached the PSAL Finals before losing to Walton Campus, 58-57.
Some of these local teams have players returning among the deep and talented pool throughout Queens and Brooklyn. But only a handful made the First Annual All BQE pre-season squads, which compiles the top players from high schools based in Queens and Brooklyn.
Before the games begin, here’s two teams heading into the new season, along with a collection of others to look to have breakout campaigns.
BQE All-Preseason First Team
• Moses Brown (7’1”) Center | Senior, Archbishop Molloy
Five-star recruit with numerous high-major offers on the table; 17th in ESPN 100 National Rankings.
• Kofi Cockburn (6’11”) Center Junior | Christ the King
Cockburn has several high major offers. He’s a four-star big ranked 34th in ESPN 60 National Rankings.
• Khalid Moore (6’8”) Forward | Senior, Archbishop Molloy
This Georgia Tech commit is a versatile four-star forward.
• Cole Anthony (6’2”) Point Guard | Junior, Archbishop Molloy
Possibly the best point guard (nationally) in next year’s class. He has offers from several high majors, including St. John’s.
• Larry Moreno (6’0”) Point Guard | Senior, Brooklyn Law and Tech
This St. Francis Brooklyn commit is arguably the best player in the PSAL A division.
BQE All-Preseason Second Team
• Victor Ogbo (6’6”) Forward | Senior, Brooklyn Law and Tech
Ogbo Averaged nearly 14 points and 14 rebounds as a junior.
• Femi Odukale (6’4”) Shooting Guard | Junior, South Shore
Odukale averaged 14.3 points in last year’s PSAL playoffs. He has an offer from Stony Brook.
• DeJavaughn Utley (6’1”) Guard | Senior, Benjamin Cordozo
A scoring machine who averaged around 20 points per game last year. He has mid-major interest, including from Niagara College, which he visited in September.
• Jasiah Lewis (5’11”) Guard | Senior, Lincoln
As a junior, he played an integral role on Lincoln city and state title teams in ’17.
• Tyson Walker (5’10”) Point Guard | Senior, Christ the King
With mid-major interest, Walker is expected to make big leap for CTK this season.
Ones To Watch
• Nariq 'Tutu' Chisholm (6'6) Forward | Junior, Martin Luther School, Maspeth
• Sekou Sylla (6’6) Forward Senior, South Shore
• KC N’defo (6’6”) Forward | Senior, Lincoln
• Kadary Richmond (6’4”) Guard | Junior, South Shore
• Glen “Jojo” Anderson (5’9”) Point Guard | Junior, Brooklyn Collegiate
• Marcus Burnett (6’3”) Guard | Sophomore, Thomas Jefferson
• John Wilson (5’10”) Guard | Sophomore, Lincoln
• Kareem May (5’10”) Guard | Sophomore, South Shore
• Moussa Cisse (6’9”) Freshman | Center, Christ the King
Cisse was the top-ranked eighth grader in the nation prior to his arrival at CTK.