Aside from the Yankees winning 100 games, it was a season of disappointment, underachieving, and a whole lot of losing.
I’m aware Santa Claus dropped off his presents on Tuesday, but I have been thinking about a present New York Sports fans should be wishing and hoping will arrive for them a little late. Think of it as a late and serious stocking stuffer.
I’m not a dreamer, so don’t expect this wish list to be outrageous and far fetched. We’ll try and keep it as realistic as possible, why get your hopes up?
Here’s my wish list for 2019:
• New York Yankees: Bryce Harper - The fit is too good to be true. The Yankees need a lefty power bat. His father idolized Mickey Mantle. Bryce Harper was born to be a New York Yankee.
The fit in the outfield will work itself out with the uncertainty beyond 2019 of Aaron Hicks and Brett Gardner. As a Yankee fan, I’m hoping for Harper in 2019.
• New York Mets: Adam Jones and Justin Wilson - It’s not Manny Machado or Bryce Harper, but the Mets need a right-handed hitting outfielder and a lefty reliever.
Both Wilson and Jones have played on winning teams and would do wonders in complimenting the rest of this offseason.
• New York Jets: An Offensive-Minded Head Coach - The Jets will dismiss Todd Bowles on Monday, and when you think about their recent head coaching hires, none have specialized on the offensive side of the ball.
The Jets must prioritize an offensive-minded guy to be their version of Sean McVey and Matt Nagy.
• New York Giants: A New Quarterback - The Giants have had a great run with Eli Manning at quarterback. He’s won two Super Bowls, he’s been a class act, but the Giants have finished another losing season with an aging quarterback.
It’s a young man’s league and a young man’s position, and the Giants need their future answer at the most important position on the field. Identify and choose the successor for Manning to enable the franchise to move forward.
• New York Knicks: Top Pick in the Draft - The Knicks stink. Period, end of story. I feel for David Fizdale, but they’re a basketball team that has major talent deficiencies.
The Knicks need not only Kristaps Porzingis back on the floor as soon as possible, they need other difference makers around him. My wish for 2019 is keep racking up the losses, get Porzingis right, and end up Zion Williamson.
• St. John’s: An NCAA Tournament Appearance - St. John’s has handled their business in the non-conference schedule, but they haven’t exactly beat murderer’s row. The Johnnies have a legitimate NCAA Tournament team and should finish in the top three in a much weaker Big East. A Red Storm fan should expect a moment on Selection Sunday with their name on the board for the first time since 2015.
You can listen to me Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Friday from 1 to 6 a.m., Sunday from 2 to 6 a.m. & Monday from 2 to 6 a.m. on WFAN Sports Radio 660/1019 FM. You can also watch me on SNY Sunday at 11 p.m. on Geico Sportsnight.