St. Stanislaus in Maspeth Inducts Hall of Fame Members At Gala
Jan 12, 2010 | 3947 views | 1 1 comments | 48 48 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Image 1 / 13
Pictured from left to right are Hall of Fame inductees Eleanor DiCanio, Sister Rose Torma, Michael Walter, Darlene Matzelle, Pat Manos, Laurie Byrne, Phil McBride Jr., Fr. Paul Wood, Anthony Martino (son of Joe), and Nicholas Sacco.
Today, there are nearly 250 students enrolled in kindergarten through eighth grade and the legacy of St. Stanislaus lives through the spirit of its volunteers and dedicated staff of educators. Those same people were honored this past Saturday, January 9, as St. Stanislaus School in Maspeth opened its Hall of Fame and inducted the first eleven members.

The school, located on Grand Avenue near 61st Street, was founded in 1930 under the direction of the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of Brooklyn. That year, 188 students enrolled when it opened its doors. By 1934, all eight grades were in operation and by 1956 there were nearly 800 pupils roaming the halls of the two-story school.

The first Hall of Fame members to be inducted and honored included Vito Bucaria. He is a passionate St. Vincent DePaul Society volunteer who has been a longtime trustee of the parish and a member of the Holy Name Society since 1948.

Laurie Byrne is what they call the “ultimate parishioner, spending her entire life receiving all her sacraments,” at St. Stanislaus. She has been a coach, a member of the Home-School Association and Mothers Club , and has served on nearly every committee for the school and church. She is most well known for her 17-year service as a Girl Scout leader.

William Carey has been involved with the Holy Name Society. He is an extraordinary minister and lector at Mass. He and his family have been involved in St. Stan’s since the 1960’s.

Eleanor DiCanio is a legendary member of the choir. Her voice and her leadership is appreciated by the community.

Pat Manos has been involved as a volunteer for the sports program and the Girl Scouts since 1988. The St. Stan’s Girl Scout Troop has had as many as 25 members.

Joseph Martino has been a valued member of the parish as a member of the Holy Name Society since 1958. All of his children attended St. Stanislaus School.

Darlene Matzelle was a St. Stan’s Mother’s Club board member from 1990 through 2003.

Phil McBride (inducted posthumously) was a fixture in the St. Stan’s sports program from 1953 through 1973. He was the athletic director at a time when CYO sports blossomed as the premier competitive sports program in Brooklyn and Queens.He started girls basketball at St. Stan’s, and was president of Holy Name Society. McBride set the foundation for the successful sports program at the school today.

Nicholas Sacco is currently president of the Holy Name Society, and has been involved with the Society at St. Stan’s since 1984. He is also a trustee of the church. Sacco is also an usher and the coordinator for lectors.

Michael Walter is honored for his contributions to the sports and Boy Scout programs at St. Stans from 1985 through 2003.

Hall of Fame inductee Sister Rose Torma has been principal of St. Stan’s since 1982. Her dedication to the mission of the school has left an indelible mark on thousands of students. While Brooklyn and Queens Catholics have watched dozens of schools close their doors, St. Stanislaus remains a top choice for families in and around Maspeth.

The event on Saturday drew more than 175 people. According to event coordinators, the dinner raised more than $10,000 for the scholarship program at St. Stan’s. Ken Rudzewick, class of 1951, and dinner chairman, said that the Endowment Fund will help ensure that families in Maspeth who want a Catholic School education for their children get their wish.
Comments
(1)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
JuanGuillen
|
January 14, 2010
Great stuff. Congrats